Your septic tank relies on your drain field to function correctly to keep the system working properly. If there is an issue, it could put your family’s health at risk. Avoid potential serious problems by having experts inspect your drain field and repair or maintain your system at the first signs of an issue. Call our experts at Capital City Septic Services for appointments in Tallahassee, FL. We offer emergency services for an additional fee.
When you need a drain field replacement, call us for services in Leon, Wakulla, Jefferson, Franklin, and Gadsden counties.
What Is a Drain Field?
A drain field plays a critical role in your septic tank system. It eliminates and manages waste that comes from the water released from your septic tank. The drain field is effective at dealing with organic or biodegradable materials that can be broken down by microbes. This requires maintenance to work properly.
Common Drain Field Issues
Your drain field might encounter issues that require repairs. Problems can be caused by:
- Excessive rainfall: You need to keep your gutters and drains pointed away from your drain field. You need to maintain the soil around your drain field to ensure your system works properly. Too much water can saturate the area and keep it from working correctly.
- Tree roots: Tree roots can interfere with your system. You can install root barriers to ensure they don’t grow too close to your septic tank system.
- Vehicles: Parking on your drain field can harm the area and prevent your system from working properly. Make sure you know where your system is located so you can avoid parking vehicles on or near it.
- Overloading: Be careful to not run too many water appliances at the same time. This can overload your system and cause problems – including flooding of your drain field.
- Waste overloading: Your septic system can only accept certain types of waste. If you put the wrong items down your garbage disposal, flush sanitary napkins, or pour grease down the drain, it can cause clogging and damage the drain field.
Do you need grease trap cleaning services in Tallahassee? Schedule an appointment with our experts!
Maintenance Tips for Drain Fields
To keep your drain field working correctly, it’s essential to perform regular maintenance on it. One of the best things you can do to keep it functioning is by never pouring solids down your drains, or flushing anything but waste and toilet paper down your toilet.
You should also never pour fat, oil, or grease down your drain. These can cause clogs and damage your pipes – and form a crust on the top of your septic tank.
If you need help from an expert, call Capital City Septic Services to have our contractors inspect and repair the issue. We service residential and commercial systems.